Saturday, January 17, 2009

What's Your Driver? (Part I)

Most of us know what a driver is when talking about computers. But how many of us know that we as human beings also have drivers?
A driver for a computer makes your program run (the printer driver).
Your driver causes you to do things.

Basically there are three drivers (modalities).
Visual
Auditory (hearing)
Kinesthetic (feeling)

This is based on NLP, or neuro-linguistic programming.

There are two sub-modalities of tasting and smelling. Each of us has a pattern of modalities.
Mine, as I figured out is:
Visual
Kinesthetic
Auditory
It explains why when I meet someone for the first time I might have a hard time remembering their name. Unless there is something unusual about the person. Firstly, I am looking at them. Secondly, I am feeling their energy. Thirdly, I hear their name.

Now let's go to an example of how my modality pattern was causing a behavior I didn't want.
Each week at the grocery store, as I was rounding the last corner before checking out, I would see in front of me the bakery cookies.
These were the sugar cookies with the bright colored sugar on them. Bright pink and bright blue.
Sure enough, each week I would buy a pink sugar cookie.
Once I understood my driver (modalilty), I understood why I went right for the cookie. Why?
Because I am visual and it attracted me!! Each week when I walked up the last aisle, they were right in front of me.
So how did I stop myself from being attracted to the cookies?
I walked down the last aisle instead of up-so I wasn't looking at the cookies!! It worked!!
That is just one example.
Before anything else, you must figure out your own modality pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment