Friday, December 19, 2008

The gift I didn't ask for

Last night we saw Kenny Rogers Christmas Show at Mohegan Sun. I"m not sure he ever really had a good singing voice, but I thought back to how many times I wished I could sing.
As a child growing up in NJ, my sister Judy and I would play outside for hours. Sometimes (I have no idea why)I would scream at the top of my lungs. I guess just to see how loud I could be.
Let me tell you I have a powerful set of lungs. Hello God? My lung capacity would be perfect to go with a singing voice.
When I hear certain music, my soul and spirit merge and my eyes fill with tears of joy! Like Josh Groban singing "O Holy Night" or when I I hear "Amazing Grace".
I would so love to convey those feelings with song.
But I wasn't given that gift. You see the gifts each of us have, are something God gives to us. It isn't always what we want or ask for.
God didn't give me the gift of carrying a melody, but he gave me the gift of speaking. Speaking to groups of people. Speaking with passion, enthusiasm, and energy. Speaking to motivate others with hope and encouragement. Including the biblical principles I believe in and follow.
Does everyone have a gift?
Yes, I believe we do. Sometimes it is not easy to know what it is-it might be hidden under "lack of motivation", a sense of "worthlessness", or "lack of confidence". These are cloaks we wear that many times go back to our childhood and we take them on without even realizing with is happening. Out gifts get hidden under these "layers" that we must unwrap.
How do I know my gift?
Whatever your gift is makes you feel happy and light. When you are doing it, time flies by without you even realizing it. You want to do it all the time, even if it pays you nothing.
Your gift causes your energy to rise.
Isn't it time to unwrap your gift?

No comments:

Post a Comment