Tuesday, December 30, 2008

YOU-Wonderful you

If you are currently making the round of job interviews, I bet you have come up with some fairly positive words to describe yourself and your work habits on your resume.

But if you were asked to stand in front of a group and talk about yourself what would you say?

Last January I put together an application to speak at the annual Equine Affaire in W. Springfield, Ma. This is a four day event and has thousands of attendees from all over New England.

Most of the seminar presenters have a book and/or DVD's which they are also selling at their booth space.

Since I don't have my book quite published yet, I decided I needed to sound as good as possible on my application write-up.
They ended up hiring me for all three of the subjects I applied for.

What I did not realize was that when I went to give each of my three seminar presentations at the event, the very words that I wrote were read to the group by the moderator as I took the stage.

I had no idea that they would do that!!
Part of what I had written was:

"I am an energetic, enthusiastic, and a charismatic speaker!"

After the event I began to mull over what others would say about themselves to a group. I have also since used this in positive thinking workshops.

Do you associate yourself with the adjectives that you want to portray?
Or do you put yourself down for the things that you haven't yet done and want to do?

What I have learned is that you must associate your sense of self with what you want to be-even if you're not quite there yet.

Your thoughts have power- use it to your advantage!

No comments:

Post a Comment